Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Could it get any worse?



Now do you all understand why I hate the Phoenix summers and whine so much? We can't even say it's a dry heat now as the monsoon season has moved in and with it came the humidity.

What is our monsoon season like, you might ask? Well, it usually starts with a dust storm which is also known as a haboob. This is a picture of one from last year and it's pretty typical.



You get this wall of dirt slam into the valley and then if we are lucky, we get a rain shower afterwards. Sometimes the rain is just enough to get things wet and make a muddy mess and sometimes is a great thunderstorm that washes everything off and cools temps down briefly.

We've had a few light dust storms so far, but no rain yet. Monsoon season is considered our rainy season and we will get at least half of our yearly rainfall during this time. When you are talking about a whole 8 inches per year as our yearly rainfall, you can tell it isn't much!

All I dream about now is the beaches of San Diego! I can't get there soon enough but it most likely won't be until late August sometime. Until then, you all will just have to put up with my complaining.

2 comments:

  1. "Haboob" may be the funniest word I've ever heard.

    I think it's just generally a humid, hot summer for the entire country this year. I know we're miserable over here in the Midwest too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling your pain in the great plains of Kansas too!!

    ReplyDelete