
Normally, I would never question a person's faith. It's such a personal thing and who am I to judge? Do I believe in God? YES But that doesn't necessarily mean I believe in church, if that makes any sense. I was raised in the church but some of my worst life experiences have come from church and what people do in the name of God and their personal beliefs.
A good case in point right now is the small church in the south that burned a copy of the Quran recently. What purpose did that serve? All it did was stir up more hate and now there are riots in Muslim countries because of that spiteful act. Do I believe in the Quran? NO but that doesn't mean I don't think others should have the right too.
What I do have a hard time believing is what some people do for their faith. My brother in law quit a 6 figure engineering job a few years ago to work as the financial officer for his church. I'm sure I don't know the whole story, but I do know his wife wasn't too happy and the family suffered financially because of this decision. It recently got so desperate, he went back to work as an engineer so he could support his family. I guess I don't understand why he had to quit to serve his church.
A few days ago, Ron experienced another similar situation. One of his techs resigned from the job because they are convinced the world is ending on May 21st and they need to spread the word of God before this happens. Thankfully this person is single and only has to support themselves and not a family. Again, I just don't understand why you would quit a job. If the world really does end on May 21st, then it doesn't make a difference, does it? But what happens if the world doesn't end? Now what are you going to do?
I guess I am judging these people for their actions and their faith. It just makes no sense to me at all, so maybe I just don't have the type of faith they do. But honestly, would you quit a job on the chance the world is going to end?

Hummm the 21st? Well that sucks! Guess I get to see Momma Mia at the Gammage before the world ends. I was hoping to get to see the daughter graduate on the 24th. She'll sure be upset if she's done all this work for nothing.
ReplyDeleteOf course the boy is worried about 2012... since he doesn't graduate until 2013.
Faith is faith... but crazy is still crazy!