Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Holiday Stress is Starting

There used to be a time when I loved the holidays. From Halloween thru New Year's I was in my glory for 2 full months. I love to decorate for any and all holidays. The cooking, the eating, the partying, it was all wonderful. That was then. Now, not so much.

I am already stressing over the holidays. I know this year it's going to be extra hard since my dad won't be here. Plus, we have to get my Mom moved too. But mostly, I hate the stress involved with my brothers. My younger brother, Todd, just runs away from holidays. Todd won't return calls, won't talk to any family member for the most part. He doesn't want anything to do with it and more and more I am starting to think he is the one that has it right. My older brother, Scott, has his hands full with his wife, Julie, and her family. They have to be included in on anything our family does and that drives me nuts. Especially since I don't care for her family. Why should I have to spend my holiday with people I don't even like? They aren't related to me anyway.

So Scott brought up Thanksgiving the other day. He declared that they would be hosting it at their house. Well, I have a few issues with that. A big one being that Julie isn't a very good cook and Thanksgiving is one of those meals where you need it to be something edible, you know? Plus, she announced her dad would be in town. Wonderful. Add into the fact that Ron and Brenna both have to work on Thanksgiving night. I seriously doubt they want to get up a few hours early and go have a big (inedible) meal before going to work.

What do I do? I really don't want to have to go over there at all. I hate to leave my mom stuck with it though either. She dreads those types of "family" holidays with them as much as I do. Right now I am leaning towards having Thanksgiving earlier in the week when everybody will be home and not working. Then maybe I could just do nothing on Thanksgiving. It might be kind of depressing though. I don't know. Anybody with any brilliant ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Could you politely decline Scott's invitation because your family is busy on Thanksgiving and you will be hosting something small for them earlier in the week? Especially being the first year without your dad, I think it's understandable. Your bro & his wife might be a little upset, but they'd get over it, right?? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete