As a parent, I was never a fan of summer vacation. It was always an endless routine of trying to keep the kids entertained so they weren't so bored. We did softball, baseball, swim lessons and then swim team, play dates, vacation bible school, sleep overs, well, you get the idea. It was a constant routine of running them from one place or another.
When we moved back to Phoenix and the kids were in elementary school, I found the ultimate summer entertainment. Yep, I was a mean Mom and made my kids go to summer school! They usually had about a week between the end of regular session to the start of summer school and then had about 2-3 weeks off before the new school year started. It was from 8am until noon, Monday thru Thursday, so it wasn't like it was all day long. If the kids were struggling in any subject, they had to take something in that area to help them out. Usually I told them they could take 2 fun classes and 2 "school" classes. And you know what? They loved it and summer school helped both of my kids get ahead in school! My kids did summer school every year from about 3rd grade thru sophomore year in high school. At that point they were finally old enough to get a job and earn a few bucks to keep themselves entertained.But I still hate summer vacation from school. Most kids are just turned loose with nothing to do and no parents to supervise them. I hate going into the grocery store with the moms dragging their little ones behind them, whining at the top of their lungs the whole time. The movie theaters aren't safe to go into all summer long as they have been taken over by the teenagers. The mall is crawling with the pre teens and there usually isn't a parent in sight.
I am a real advocate for a year round school system. There are a couple of districts around here that have it and they prove year after year that it's more than doable, most parents love it and the kids retain more of their schooling. I show a lot of buyers these school districts because they actually ask for them. I've just never understood why more districts don't go to this system.
But one thing you have to admit. Every time you hear that school is out for summer, don't you think of Alice Cooper? I know I do and I've heard the song at least 3 times today!


No comments:
Post a Comment