
Living in the desert we have all sorts of yucky, creepy, crawly, slithery things. Some of them don't bother me too much, but a scorpion just gives me the willies every time. Can't stand these little buggers!
Last night was so beautiful! I was sitting in my recliner watching DWTS and smelling the orange blossoms float in thru the windows. My allergies are going crazy but it's totally worth it with the sweet smell of the orange blossoms. In the back of my mind, though, something else was clicking in. Crickets! Yuck! Can't stand those things either. And if you have crickets, you have scorpions, cause that's what they like to eat. So, I'm sitting there thinking, I need go and spray in the morning to get rid of the crickets.
Fast forward 12 hours and my cell phone rings at 7:30am. I typically won't answer it that early because it's usually some stupid Realtor wanting something and my business hours don't start before 8am, 9am at the latest. Anyway, I see that it's my neighbor calling, so I know something is wrong. It actually ended up being her house guest who is visiting from Oregon and she had just been stung by a scorpion and was kind of hysterical. So, I grab my benedryl and go flying down the street, in my robe and slippers no less!
The nasty little bugger got her right on her ring finger and her hand was swelling quickly. Got the ice on her hand and a benedryl down her throat in no time and all. Getting her calmed down was another matter, but we finally got there. Now the thing about scorpion stings is that unless you are allergic to them or have had a bad reaction from a bee sting or something, you don't need to worry. It's just going to hurt like a mother for about 24 hours and the location where she was stung, her whole arm will kind of go numb after that for a few days. I stayed with her for about an hour to make sure she didn't have any reaction, but she is going to be fine.
I think I will go out and spray my yard now though.


Yikes. This story doesn't sell me on vacationing out by you. haha! We actually will be in Maricopa which I think is right next door to you, isn't it? I'm not sure what our schedule is like yet; we will probably only be there for a few days, but I'll definitely let you know!
ReplyDeleteGrate story thanks for sharing. I am a local Scorpion specialist for a pest control company and I enjoyed reading your take on scorpions. Glad to hear that your friend was okay.
ReplyDeleteAJ
www.scorpionguy.com