Friday, March 26, 2010

I could only hope to be so strong . . .

I had a text message from my friend, Samantha, this morning. She had her first chemo treatment on Wednesday. She also had made the decision to have her head shaved now so that she could donate her hair to Locks for Love. Her appointment was at 1pm and she needed a little moral support.


As you can see, she had really pretty hair. They were a little concerned it wasn't long enough, but because they were shaving it, her hair was just long enough for donation.


Sam had a hard time in the parking lot before going in, but once she was in the salon, she was a real trooper. Honestly, I think it was harder on me to witness this compared to how she reacted. Maybe she just put on a brave face, and that's very likely. I would have been bawling and who knows, maybe she will go home and do that privately.

What I do know is that she is beautiful inside and out. Her hair doesn't define her at all and she is going to beat this cancer just with her positive attitude. I could only hope that I would handle the same situation with such grace and dignity.


After we were done, I was given the bag of hair and told where to go. There is a UPS store on Ray & 48th Street in Ahwatukee that ships it for free, so that's where I went. It's great that there are businesses out there that still care and donate their services. The hairdresser did this for free and also shaped up her wig to fit her face better. I was really honored to be there for Samantha today, even if it was a difficult situation.

1 comment:

  1. She is such an inspiration and so beautiful too. How nice of you to be there for your friend, even though I know it must have been so hard to watch that.

    ReplyDelete