We are now going on two months since we moved my Mom into her new house and she is still a very long way from being settled. Sunday afternoon Ron, Brenna and I went over to help her some more. She had a full list of handyman type things that she needed done. My wonderful brother was supposed to have been over there earlier in the week and told her he would be there first on Tuesday and then on Thursday. As you can guess he never bothered to show up either day, didn't even call. So, it was Ron to the rescue!
We arrived at about 2pm after Ron got up. It was a little later than I hoped to get started, but the guy needs his sleep after working all night. Mom had a list of about 12 things that we felt pretty sure we could get a majority of them done, but naturally it didn't work out that way. She had gotten these two antique twin bed frames that she wanted in her room. They were missing parts, trips to the hardware store were involved and it took at least twice as long as we hoped, but they eventually got put together. Ron and I put together wire shelves that we had gotten from the eviction house and I worked on the garage getting it organized more. The garage is making progress, but not quick enough. Ron also installed a new bathroom sink, towel bars and toilet seat in the hall bath, moved and set up a TV, moved and set up the stereo system but didn't have any speaker wire, so it's not quite ready to go, hung multiple pictures and helped me and Brenna with our projects too.
We set Brenna up in the kitchen to finish off the painting. My other brother had been painting the kitchen for about 3 weeks and it just wasn't getting done. Brenna finished it in 2 hours. Her edges weren't as good as Todd's, but at least it's done. Then we helped unpack Mom's rooster collection and arrange them up on the soffits. Up and down the ladder so many times! My legs are still sore. We were there until 8:30 that night and while we got a lot done you can hardly tell.
At this point the house is pretty well full and she is just going to have to face the fact that she doesn't have the room for the rest of it. The garage is still about half full and we still can't get the car in yet. I'm trying not to push her but we are running out of time. 2 more months and it's going to be too hot to work in the garage any more. I get so frustrated but I know this is hard on Mom too. She has made a lot of progress and she is mentally getting stronger every day. I have to remind myself that she has had a lot to deal with in the last year.
So, I left her with enough projects to work on this week that hopefully she will make some more progress. I'll be back over there at least once a week to help her until it gets done or it gets too hot to work in the garage, whichever comes first. Anybody want to help?
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my gosh, I HATE moving, and I can only imagine how hard it must be to get your mom settled. Trying to whittle down so much history into a smaller space must be incredibly hard. Hopefully she'll make some progress so you don't have to deal with it when the weather heats up!
ReplyDelete