Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tri Pod

Yesterday Brenna's Kitty had his leg removed. She dropped him off at the vet by 8am and it was a 90 minute surgery. Vet called about noon to give us an update and said Kitty was doing very well and immediately tried to stand up when he woke up. He fell over again, but the Vet said that was a good sign. Vet was surprised at how much the tumor had grown in the two weeks since we first found it, but was able to remove the leg with good margins. He also took out some lymph nodes and sent everything to pathology.

Needless to say, Kitty wasn't very happy the rest of the day. Every time he tried to get up he would fall over and then scream and hiss. As sad as that sounds, the vet was encouraged. We brought him home around 5pm and he settled in immediately. I think just being around his house and familiar smells calmed him down a lot. We have him in a confined area in Brenna's room that is all padded with pillows and towels for the first few days. He is on pain meds every 12 hours for the next 5 days and staples will come out in 2 weeks.

I haven't really gotten a good look at him yet, but I know it's pretty sad looking. Brenna was pretty upset last night but I do think this was the best thing possible to do for the cat. It will be interesting to watch him learn to adapt over the next few weeks though. I just hope he isn't in too much pain.

Update on Kitty:

He kind of had a rough night but did start walking and even jumped on the bed to sleep with Brenna!


2 comments:

  1. Aww, poor sweet thing. It will definitely be interesting to see how he adapts, and I hope this takes care of the cancer FOR GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! It sounds like he is being well taken care of. Thank goodness you caught the tumor. He sounds like a resilient cat; prayers for a speedy recovery for him.

    ReplyDelete