Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Non 4th of July

I've been reading everyone's posts about their 4th of July parties, picnics, parades and just general fun and it makes me so jealous! Growing up in Arizona and living here almost my entire life, the 4th of July has never been a big deal. It's too hot for picnics, fireworks (until recently) were illegal and it was too hot and too much of a pain to go to a big show to see them. A typical 4th for us was usually spent in the movie theaters watching the latest and greatest blockbuster. We might even go out for dinner at a bar-b-q place because that's what you are supposed to eat on the 4th, right?

There have been a few years where we have been out of town and got to celebrate. A couple of years ago when Ron and I were in NYC for the 4th, that was fun. Been in San Diego once or twice and they have some great fireworks. But honestly, if we want to celebrate the holiday we really do need to head somewhere else.

You know what we did this year? Ron left in the morning and drove to Boise. Once he left, Brenna and I went back to bed for a few hours. We finally got up about 2pm and sat and watched Bridezillas the rest of the day. I don't think we even took showers! How gross is that? And what is really sad is that it rained off and on all day and it was actually kind of cool outside. We could have enjoyed being outdoors and we didn't even bother.

I think next year we might need to make more of an effort!

2 comments:

  1. You can come to Ohio and celebrate with us any time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year didn't feel much like the 4th to me either. We got a $500 ticket for having fireworks & since I was putting Leonard to sleep when my husband & father-in-law started lighting a few off, I missed everything. Our town cancelled their annual display due to lack of rain. It really was a weird year.

    It seems that everyone has different holidays that they celebrate "big" with. If I recall correctly, you guys have an awesome time celebrating Halloween & I'm looking forward to reading about it & seeing the fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete