Another year draws to a close today. We are never ones to go out and party on New Year's Eve and this year won't be any different. Ron is back to work after having close to 2 weeks off, so I won't even get a midnight kiss this year.
2010 had a lot of ups and downs, good and bad. On the positive side my business picked up again this year and that helped us out a lot financially. The housing market in Phoenix is still in the dumps but people are starting to move on a bit and at least realize it's hit bottom. The newspaper is finally reporting some positive changes in the economy and the job market here is picking up, so I think 2011 will see a steady improvement in the housing market, which means a steady improvement in my business.
My family is all employed with stable jobs. That is a huge plus right now. Ron got a big promotion the middle of the year and he is so happy in his new job. While he continues to have to work the night shift, it isn't as bad as I originally feared and we are getting more and more used to it. Aaron got fully signed off as an air traffic controller the first part of the year and is now in a position to be training the newbies that come in. While he loves his job he isn't totally thrilled with living in such a small town, so he does continue to look for a transfer out to a larger facility with the FAA. Brenna graduated from NAU with her BSN and was immediately hired to work in an ER at a local hospital, which was her dream job. She was forced to quit due to her needed hand surgery in December but she has already been hired at another hospital and will start in 2 weeks after completing her physical therapy for her hand. She is luckier than you realize as most of her classmates are still trying to find their first job.
Another thing I am thankful for this year is my relationship with Ron. With him working the crazy hours that he does, we've learned to be more appreciative of the time we do get to spend together. We make an effort to have date night every week just to reconnect as a couple and I have to admit I have fallen in love with my husband all over again. Brenna has also fallen in love this year after meeting Bry in May. It's such a wonderful thing to witness my daughter fall in love with such a great guy. We love Bry and he fits right into the family. My one wish for 2011 is that Aaron finds the girl of his dreams and is able to settle down too. I know he wants more than anything to find the right person and I hope this is the year it happens for him.
Naturally the biggest event in my life for 2010 was loosing my father. I still miss him each and every day. I still think about being in the hospital alone with him that night and having to be the one to make the decision to let him go. I see him grasping for each and every breath in those last few minutes. I know in my head I made the right decision but my heart sometimes tells me otherwise only because I still want him here with me. It's been a struggle to watch my Mom deal with the details of his death and how it has affected her. I know she is going to be fine but sometimes I don't think she realizes it yet. I've seen my relationship deteriorate with my older brother to the point of no return and have to wonder if we only talked to each other because of my dad. Was he the glue that held the family together? Yet at the same time I don't miss my brother and don't think I ever will since there was never a true relationship there to begin with.
Every year I hope that the new year will be better than the last. Right now I don't think that will be much of a stretch as it can't be much worse in many ways. And even though there was a lot of heartache for me and my family, there was a lot of joy in 2010 and I need to remember that too.
May your best day in 2010 be your worst day in 2011.
Friday, December 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I really love this reflective post, Pam. It was obviously a huge year for you full of good and bad things, but you're going into 2011 so blessed with such an awesome family! Happy New Year to you!
ReplyDelete