Tuesday, January 8, 2013
RIP Molly
Molly was my Christmas puppy 4 years ago. I got her to replace Blossom who had passed away from old age that summer. Took me a few months to be ready for another dog. And Molly was special. She was actually diagnosed with doggie Down Syndrome, if you can believe that. So sweet and loving, but just not all there. We never did get her totally housebroken, which drove me nuts. If you reminded her to go out about every 3 hours, she would pee on command, but if you forgot, she did too and would just let loose when needed.
While we were in Europe, Molly started getting sick. Brenna knew something wasn't quite right so my Mom ended up taking her to the vet one day. She was very dehydrated and they thought she had some sort of bug but weren't really sure. They did xrays and didn't see anything, so sent her home with some drugs after giving her an IV.
We got home about 5 or 6 days later and could still tell she wasn't quite right. We watched her closely for about 3 days and finally took her back to the vet. He was checking her over and this time could tell there was something in her stomach area. Did xrays again and could see a mass. Surgery was needed, so we gave approval. Molly would be ready to be picked up about 8:30 that night, so we went out to dinner with Rex and Michele for our usual Friday night date.
While we were at dinner, my cell rang and it was the vet. Ron took the call as I had a feeling it wasn't great news. The mass he found was a squeaky toy she has swallowed and was working it way thru her system. Unfortunately, as it did so, it totally ripped her up on the inside and the vet said it was infected really bad. We had to make the decision to put her down.
My heart just breaks typing this, as I miss my puppy so much. She really was very loving and always wanted to sleep on my lap. She did have her issues, but she was still a part of our family.
For now, we have decided not to get another dog any time soon. Bailey, our Wheaton Terrier, is almost 13 and showing signs that she might not be around too long either. She also is getting very grumpy, so I wouldn't want a puppy to set her off. Brenna will be moving out the end of the year and taking her dog, Daisey, so Ron and I have decided to wait until then. That way we can start fresh and a new puppy wouldn't pick up any bad habits.
I know we will get another Westie, as I just love them. And I think we will get two so they can grow up together. Maybe a brother and sister. I want to come up with some fun names too. Like Ken and Barbie, Donnie and Marie or Bonnie and Clyde. Do you have any great suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aww, so sorry to hear. It sounds like you made the best decision for her.
ReplyDeleteOh Pam, I'm so sorry about your puppy. :( She looks like she was such a sweetie.
ReplyDeleteWhat about Bella and Edward for your new puppies? Haha ;)
So sorry for your loss... Pets are like children to us and as a pet Mommy I know feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteHuh.. doggie Down Syndrome... who woulda thought.