Saturday, May 28, 2011

Biting my Tongue AGAIN

You know I have an opinion on just about everything and I'm not usually shy about sharing it at all. But for the last few weeks I've had to keep my opinion to myself and it's really been a hard one for me.

My best friend has breast cancer. That's one of those sentances that when you say it or even write it, kind of makes you sick to your stomach. Another friend with breast cancer. I guess my friends and I are just getting at that age when more and more of us will be diagnosed with this awful disease. This getting old business just sucks on so many levels. Last year it was Samantha and this year it's Michele.

Last year when Samantha was diagnosed at age 39 she did everything I would do. Saw the best doctors, had a double mastectomy, was very agressive with her chemo and radiation. Remember when I went with her to have her hair shaved off and donated for locks of love before starting chemo? She was pretty sick going thru her chemo but so much better now. Has had her reconstruction surgeries but will soon be having her ovaries removed since her cancer was so hormone based. Again, everything I would do.

Michele, on the other hand, is doing the complete opposite. Diagnosed at age 46 with the same type of breast cancer and had two tumors basically the same sizes as Samantha. Instead of mastectomy she went with lumpectomy. She will not be doing any radiation or chemo and has now decided not to even do any drug therapy. She got her labs back this week and while they said everything was clear and margins were good, I just can't believe she is going to take the risk. She told me this all last night at dinner and it was all I could do to keep my opinion to myself.

Now I get that the two of them could have totally different types of cancer and maybe Michele doesn't need chemo. But the doctor did suggest radiation and drug therapy and she has decided against it. I just don't understand and I am really worried for my friend. Ron keeps telling me I have to keep my nose out of it and I'm trying. Really I am. But all I want to do is shake some sense into her!

What would you do? I have a family history of breast cancer as my Mom is a 20 year survivor. I know it's only a matter of when, not if, I get it too. When that time comes, I'm doing exactly what Samantha has done. The girls are coming off and I'm getting me a new, improved pair. I will hit it so hard with chemo, radiation and drugs, there is no way there will be a cancer cell left in my body. That's the reason my Mom is still alive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment